North Memorial Medical Center is the only Minnesota Hospital Recognized
North Memorial Health Care announced today that its superior clinical quality has placed North Memorial Medical Center among an elite group of U.S. hospitals: Healthgrades America’s 50 Best Hospitals. To be recognized with this distinction, these hospitals had risk-adjusted mortality and complication rates low enough to place them in the top 5 percent of all hospitals nationwide. This is the second year in a row that North Memorial Medical Center has been named as one of America’s 50 Best Hospitals by Healthgrades. On average, patients treated at America’s 50 Best Hospitals had nearly a 30 percent lower risk of death.
“We are extremely proud of being one of the top 50 hospitals in the nation and the only hospital in Minnesota to be recognized. We completely acknowledge that this achievement is a result of the innovative and dedicated employees and physicians who provide care at North Memorial Medical Center. This doesn’t happen without an exceptional and consistent commitment to teamwork, quality and safe care of our patients by all of our nurses, physicians, allied professionals, leadership and staff at North Memorial,” said J. Kevin Croston, North Memorial’s Chief Medical Officer. “North Memorial strives daily to deliver innovative and advanced medical care. It’s what we are known for. We are also proud that in 2013 North Memorial received the Healthgrades Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence.”
With heightened attention on health care outcomes, it has become even more critical for hospitals to provide outstanding patient care and to show their continued efforts to provide better than expected outcomes for their patients.
“Hospitals earn the America’s 50 Best Hospitals distinction by providing better than expected outcomes across a broad spectrum of conditions and procedures and maintaining these superior results over an extended period of time,” said Evan Marks, EVP Informatics and Strategy for Healthgrades. “As such, by selecting a hospital on the Healthgrades America’s 50 Best hospital list, consumers can expect a commitment to exceptional quality and clinical care that is among the best in the nation.”
A sampling of other areas in which North Memorial is nationally recognized for best practices include:
- North Memorial is ranked #1 in Minnesota for Critical Care by Healthgrades in 2013
- North Memorial is ranked #1 in Minnesota for Treatment of Stroke by Healthgrades in 2013
- North Memorial was named Best in the Region for Overall Cardiac Services by Healthgrades in 2013
- North Memorial is ranked among the Top 5 in Minnesota for Vascular Surgery (2013)
- North Memorial is ranked among the Top 10 in Minnesota for Joint Replacement (2013)
- North Memorial ranked among the Top 10% in the Nation for Neurosurgery in 2013 by Healthgrades
- North Memorial Breast Center is a designated “ACR Breast Imaging Center of Excellence”
- North Memorial’s Medical Intensive Care Unit is a Gold-Level Beacon Award Winner (given by the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses)
- North Memorial Stroke Center recognized by AHA for Quality Patient Care and Outcomes
- North Memorial Stroke Center re-certified by Joint Commission as a “Gold Seal Approved” Primary Stroke Center
- North Memorial’s “door-to-balloon” time (quickly opening blocked arteries in the event of a heart attack) is ranked in the top 5 percent nationally
- North Memorial is a Level I Trauma Center
- North Memorial earned an “A” grade by The Leapfrog Group, a national leader and advocate in hospital transparency.
A comprehensive methodology for this award and all Healthgrades hospital ratings and rankings is also available online at healthgrades.com.
*Region is Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI as defined by the federal government’s Office of Mgmt and Budget