Being on a diet doesn't mean that you have to avoid social situations. Eating in restaurants, going to parties, and spending time with friends can be part of a healthy lifestyle. Use these tips to keep your weight loss plan on track in social settings.
Tips for Eating in Restaurants
- Plan in Advance. Try to choose a restaurant that offers low-fat entrees. Many restaurants provide menus online so that you can evaluate the choices before you even leave home. Visit the restaurant's website and make your selection in advance.
- Choose Lean Options. Avoid foods that are battered, breaded, or fried, as these tend to be high in fat. Instead, look for foods that are steamed, broiled, baked, roasted, poached or lightly sautéed.
- Ask for Help. If you are not sure how certain items are prepared, don't be afraid to ask. Most restaurants are happy to accommodate special requests or make suggestions for guests who are following a specific meal plan.
- Split Your Meal. Restaurant portions tend to be large. Divide your meal into two parts and save half for another day, or better yet, split the entree with a friend. Another option is to order a healthy appetizer as an entrée.
- Make Substitutions. If your entrée comes with a high-calorie side dish such as french fries or a mayonnaise-based salad, ask for fruit or a green salad instead.
Tips for Eating at Parties and Social Events
- Plan Ahead. If possible, find out what kind of food will be served at your upcoming party or event so that you can plan your meal before you arrive. Healthy choices are easier to make when you are free from distractions.
- Eat in Advance. Enjoy a healthy snack before you go to your event. A piece of fruit or a handful of fresh veggies will help you to feel "full" so that you aren't hungry when you arrive.
- Keep Water in Hand. Try to avoid mindless eating by keeping a glass of water or club soda in hand. This will help you to avoid excess snacking and high calorie drinks.
Connect With Us!
We're here to help. Check out our blog, find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for support, recipes, shopping tips and ideas for healthy eating. See North Memorial Medical Center's list of weight loss related services and learn how we can help you to reach your goals.