We need to communicate with each other in order for you to receive the best possible care. Free of charge, North Memorial will provide interpreters for patients and significant family members. We offer either in-person American Sign Language or foreign language interpreters and/or the option of video conferencing with an interpreter. Ask your nurse about:
- MARTTI – (My Accessible Real-Time Trusted Interpreter) is a video relay machine that offers quick access to interpreter services. The interpreter, on a live monitor, is able to see into the room to assist the health care team, patient and family with their discussion of important medical issues.
- Videos in American Sign Language, with English captioning – are available on request.
Tell your nurse if you are having difficulty hearing and could use assistive devices. Let us know your communication preference. We have equipment available:
- Pocket Talkers™ are for hard-of-hearing patients or companions to use while at North Memorial free of charge. We hope these sound amplifiers help support effective communication. Please return our loaned Pocket Talkers™, so other patients can use them.
- Communication boards – containing pictures, the alphabet and numbers
- Door Knockers – lights come on when someone knocks on the door
- TTY/TDD – telephone
- Closed Captioning – on television and some educational videos.
Services for People with Physical Disabilities
- Wheelchair-accessible restrooms and pay telephones are located on the Main and Plaza Levels. A wheelchair-accessible water fountain is also available on the Main Level.
- Wheelchairs are available in the Emergency Department, in the Patient Registration area and at the information desk. Two telephones are located in the tunnel from the Oakdale Medical Building to North Memorial if transportation assistance is needed. Wheelchairs may be requested.
- Each floor of the medical center has a tub room, bathroom and shower room equipped with handrails and oversized door openings. Canes, walkers and commodes on wheels are also available.
- Sip-n-Puff phones are available through our Biomedical Department for those people who are limb-impaired. Speakerphones and touch-tone phones are also available.
Services for People with Visual Impairments
- Large-button and Braille-button telephones are available.
- Our Telecommunications Department can arrange for you to use a radio talking book during business hours, Monday through Friday. In addition, The Faribault Academy for the Blind also provides books on tape and large print books.
- Volunteers will gladly assist visually impaired patients or visitors with reading or writing.
Social Services uses a network of community resources to help you and your family cope during and after hospitalization. Social workers can help you with medical issues, emotional needs, financial concerns and care after hospitalization. Let your nurse know if you'd like to speak to a social worker, and they can arrange a referral.
Spiritual and emotional support is offered 24- hours a day to patients and family members. A sacramental ministry is also available upon request. Our chapel is located on the first floor, near the Northway Deli & Grill. This quiet place is always open for spiritual renewal, reflection and prayer. An Ecumenical Service is offered each Sunday at noon and Catholic Mass is held each Wednesday at 12:30 p.m. If you would like a visit with a chaplain, ask your nurse to set up an appointment for you or you may call yourself at 763-581-2350. Several other places of worship located in North Memorial’s service area can be found here.
Your nurse will be able to handle the majority of your care and comfort requests to help make your hospital stay as pleasant as possible. If you don’t feel that you are getting what you need, or you are having difficulty with your assigned nurse, you can ask to speak to the charge nurse for the unit you are in, or to our hospital’s Patient Representative. You can call our patient representative directly at 763-581-0780 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. At other times, call the operator (“0”) or 763-520-5200, and ask to speak to the administrative manager.