"Have childhood memories of mom’s tuna noodle casserole? This is an easy recipe makeover for a classic comfort food that is also very budget friendly. Enjoy!"
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 8 ounces yolk-free whole grain wide egg noodles
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (10 ounces) condensed 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 12 ounces albacore tuna packed in water, drained and broken into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green peas
- 1 slice whole wheat bread
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9" x 13"casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. Cook noodles in large saucepan according to package directions, omitting salt. Meanwhile, coat large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add onion; cook over medium heat until tender, 4-5 minutes. Stir in soup, sour cream, milk, cheese and red pepper until well blended and cheese is melted. Remove from heat. Drain noodles; return to saucepan. Add soup mixture, tuna and peas. Toss well; transfer mixture to prepared casserole dish. Tear bread into pieces; place in bowl of food processor or blender and process until finely minced. Sprinkle evenly over casserole and top with paprika. Spray top of casserole with cooking spray. Bake 15 minutes or until heated through. Makes 6 (1 1/3 cup) servings.
Nutrition information per serving: 340 calories (21% of calories from fat), 8 grams total fat, 2 grams saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 15 milligrams cholesterol, 45 grams carbohydrate, 6 grams dietary fiber, 580 milligrams sodium, 28 grams protein.